When I was newly married, making soft round chapatis was a distant dream.
I am serious, I always wondered how my mother used to make. Many trials and still it would not turn out as soft and fluffy as I wanted it to be.
After 10 years of married life, I should say that , phewww!! finally I have mastered that art 😉
Here goes the method:
- Wheat flour: 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Warm water : 2 table spoons more than half a cup
- Oil: 2 table spoon while kneading + 1/2 + 1/2 tablespoons while making the chapatis.
- In a mixing bowl add wheat flour and salt.
- Add warm water little by little and knead into a dough.
- Now add 1 table spoon oil and knead well. Kneading well is the key.
- Allow it to rest for about 15 minutes.
- Make small round balls out of this dough.
- Now make a triangle out of it. Allow it to rest for 3-4 minutes.
- (Use some wheat flour for dusting and roll this triangle chapatti into a flat thin one.)
- Heat the tawa. Once the tawa is medium hot, roast the chapati.
- Toss and apply 1/2 tablespoon oil.
- Once it gets cooked on one side, flip and cook again. You can again apply oil if required–>another 1/2 table spoon.
- Serve hot.