- Tomatoes : I used 6 big ripe ones
- Sambar powder: 1 table spoon
- Tamarind paste: 1 tea spoon
- Green chilies: 1 small (optional)
- Jaggery: 1/8 of a piece
- Oil: 1 table spoon
- Mustard seeds, urad dal: 1 table spoon each
- Curry leaves: 5-6 leaves
- Wash and chop the ripe tomatoes roughly.
- In a wide bottom pan, add oil and let it heat.
- Now add the mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add urad dal and fry till the color changes to golden brown.
- Now add the green chilies and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Once the tomatoes are half cooked, add the sambar powder, tamarind paste and jagery.
- Let it cook for about 5 minutes more, so that the raw smell of the sambar powder disappears.
- Add half cup of water to get the required consistency.
- Add salt to taste. Cook with the lid covered for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot.