Green gram is a rich source of protein. Especially for vegetarians where we lack in the intake of protein, green gram is one of the must haves. Here is a easy and tasty recipe using green gram.
- Green gram: 1 cup
- Onion: 1 big, finely chopped
- Tomato puree: 5 tablespoons
- Coriander powder, jeera powder: 1 tea spoon each
- Kitchen king masala: 1 table spoon
- Red chili powder: 1 tea spoon
- Green chilies: 1 small finely chopped
- Fresh cream (optional)
- Oil: 2 tea spoons
- Jeera: 1 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- Soak the green gram overnight or for about 6 hours.
- Drain the excess water and pressure cook green gram for just a single whistle. Else it gets too mushy.
- In a wide bottom pan, add oil. When the oil heats up, add jeera and let it splutter.
- Now add the chopped onions and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Now add the tomato puree and cook for about 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add the coriander powder, jeera powder, turmeric and kitchen king masala and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Keep stirring occasionally and add about ½ glass of water to get the right consistency.
- Now add the cooked green gram and fresh cream and give it a gentle stir. Cook again on low flame for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with chapattis, paratha or rice.