A typical south Indian recipe… This is easy, simple and a healthy one.
Cooked ridge gourd and toor dal mixed with mild spices. Best served with both – roti and hot rice!
- Toor dal: 1 cup
- Ridge gourd: 1 cup chopped
- Green chilies: 2 small
- Coriander leaves: 1 small bunch chopped finely
- Ginger paste: 1 tea spoon
- Coconut: 1/2 cup grated
- Mustard seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook toor dal with water for about 5 whistles.
- In a wide bottom pan, add 1 table spoon oil and when it heats, add 1 tea spoon of mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
- Now add the chopped ridge gourd and the cooked toor dal.
- Keep in medium flame. The idea is to cook the ridge gourd in the toor dal till it gets tender.
- This will take about 10-12 minutes.
- Now add the grated coconut, finely chopped green chilies and coriander leaves.
- Finely add ginger paste and cook on low flame for another 5-7 minutes.
- Serve hot with roti or rice!