Once I learnt how easy it is to make and store tomato puree at home, I have stopped to buy the store prepared ones. Here goes the recipe.
- Tomatoes: 4 big and ripe (You can do with the semi ripe ones too).
- A pinch of salt and sugar
- Vinegar: If you make in large quantity and want to increase the shelf life.
- Wash the tomatoes thoroughly and cut a plus mark at the bottom.
- In a wide pan, add the tomatoes and along with water. The water should be enough to immerse the tomatoes completely.
- Bring the water to boil for about 12 minutes.
- The tomatoes will get cooked and the skin of the tomatoes will get peeled.
- Now peel off the skin and immerse the tomatoes in cold water so that it gets cooled.
- Add the tomatoes (without the water) in the mixie jar and grind it into a paste.
- I stop at this step when I make tomato puree and use it instantly. If you want to store it further for about 15 days, then add the grounded tomato puree into a pan, add a pinch of salt and sugar. Bring it to boil. Add vinegar and give it a nice stir.
- Store it in clean nice container.