Being an Iyengar, I make this recipe almost twice a month, with different veggies. The aroma of the roasted pepper makes my mouth water… Here is the recipe.
I have used peas and beans for this. You can make it with any vegetable of your choice. Best goes with carrot, beans, peas and Hyacinth.
- Beans, peas: 1 cup each
- Toor dal: 1 cup
- Urad dal: 1 and 1/2table spoon
- Black Pepper: 1/2 table spoon
- Curry leaves: 10-15 leaves
- Coconut: 1 cup
- Red chilly: 2 big (You can use Kashmiri mirch too to give a mice colour. Use 3-4 Kashmiri mirch if you wish, since Kashmiri mirch is less spicy).
- Salt to taste.
- In a small pan, dry roast the urad dal, black pepper and set it aside.
- In the same pan, dry roast the red chilies and curry leaves.
- Once this cools down, grind it with little water and coconut to form a smooth paste.
- Pressure cook the toor dal in the pressure cooker until it get cooked. .. For about 5 whistles.
- Pressure cook the beans with water in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles.
- Pressure cook the peas for just a single whistle.
- In a vessel, add toor dal. Once it starts to boil, add the grounded mixture.
- Let it come to boil. Add one cup of water to get the required consistency.
- Now add the cooked veggies and salt to taste and let it boil.
- Switch off and serve hot with rice or roti.