Palak matar is a healthy combination of green vegetables like peas and spinach made into a sabzi. This healthy green gravy is a delight to eat with chapatis, parathas and pathiri.
- Palak: 1 bunch
- Peas: 1 cup (fresh or frozen)
- Onion: 1 big
- Cashew nuts: 5-6 whole
- Cinnamon stick: 1/2 inch
- Fennel seeds: 1 tea spoon
- Oil: 1 table spoon
- Jeera: 1 tea spoon
- Spices–> jeera powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala: 1 tea spoon each.
- Fresh cream: 1 table spoon(optional)
- Salt to taste
- Wash and roughly chop the palak leaves. Blanch it with enough water for about 7-8 minutes. (Microwave or stove)
- Let it cool.
- Grind the blanched palak along with chopped onions, cinnamon stick, fennel seeds and cashews (adding cashews is only optional)
- In a wide bottom pan, add oil. Once it heats, add jeera, let it splutter.
- Now add the grounded palak mixture.
- Cook for about 10 minutes on low flame (The raw onion smell will start to leave).
- Now add all the spices (jeera powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala) and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked peas and fresh cream. Give it a gentle stir and cook with closed lid for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander/fresh cream and serve hot.