Finely cooked ridged gourd, minced with the delicious south Indian sambar powder, mixed with tamarind water and a pinch of jagery. Perfect to be served with hot rice on a chilly winter afternoon.
- Toor dal: 1 cup
- Sambar powder: 2 heaped table spoons
- Grated coconut: 2 heaped table spoons
- tamarind: 1 lemon sized ball
- jagery: 1 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves: optional
- Pressure cook the toor dal for 5 whistles and keep it aside. You can add a pinch of turmeric powder while cooking the toor dal to give it a nice color.
- Chop ridge gourd roughly.
- Now in a wide bottom pan, add the cooked toor dal.
- Once the toor dal starts to boil, add the chopped ridge gourd.
- Let it cook in toor dal for about 15minutes (alternately, you can separately cook ridge gourd and add it to the toor dal to save time).
- Now grind the sambar powder along with grated coconut. Make a fine paste.
- Add it to the boiling toor dal mixture. Give it a nice stir.
- Once this mixture starts to boil, add jagery, tamarind paste and salt.
- Let it boil for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with Rice!!