- Beetroot – 1 big sized
- Grated Coconut – 3 table spoon
- Red chili powder: 1 table spoon
- Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tea spoon
- Urad Dhal – 1/2 table spoon
- Curry leaves – 5-6 leaves
- Hing – 1/4 tea spoon
- Wash the beetroots thoroughly and peel off the skin.
- Chop the beetroot finely. Pressure cook it for 5 whistles (with water).
- Drain the excess water, keep it aside. You can use this to make beetroot juice for kids. My kids just love it.
- In a wide bottom pan, add oil and let it heat.
- Add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Now add urad dal, hing and curry leaves. Fry for about a minute, till the color of urad dal changes.
- Now add the cooked beetroot and cook till the raw smell leaves- for about 5 minutes.
- Now add grated coconut and gently stir.
- Switch off the stove and serve with rice or rotis!!