Roasted and mashed Aubergine cooked with onions, tomatoes, green chilies and ginger – comfort food for many!
- Aubergine: 1 big
- Onions and tomatoes: 1 each. Finely chopped
- Green chilies: 2 small
- Coriander powder, jeera powder, garam masala powder: 1 tea spoon each
- Oil: 1 table spoon
- Curry leaves: 5 -6
- Jeera: 1 tea spoon
- Water: as required
- Salt to taste.
- Wash the Aubergine and dry it.
- On the gas stove, roast the Aubergine. Remember to do this on low flame, else the outer cover gets burnt and the inner layer remains un-cooked.
- DO this on all the sides. It will take approximately 10 minutes to be cooked.
- Soak it in cold water. Peel off the upped cover.
- Smash the Aubergine with a help of a spoon and fork.
- In a wide bottom pan, add oil. When the oil heats up, add jeera and curry leaves. Let it splutter.
- Now add onions and roast till it turns golden brown.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes. Cook on low flame for about 5 minutes till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the other spices and the Aubergine.
- Cover with lid and cook for about 10 minutes on low flame. The spices will get absorbed by the vegetables.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.