I have always liked homemade sambar powder. The store bought ones do not add the required aromatic flavor…this is purely my opinion.
The quantity used here is sufficient to make sambar once. To be used by grinding it with coconut.
Here are the tips for making a perfect sambar powder at home
- Urad dal: 2 tablespoons
- Daniya (coriander seeds): 2 table spoons
- Channa dal: 1 table spoon
- Methi seeds: 1 tea spoon
- Curry leaves: 10 -12 big ones
- Kashmiri red chilies: 6 (Don’t miss these…it gives a perfect color)
- Red chilies: 5
- Cinnamon stick: 2 inch stick
- In a wide pan, dry roast the Urad dal, channa dal, coriander seeds, cinnamon stick and Methi seeds.
- Fry till the urad dal color changes to slight brown.
- Now empty the ingredients and into the same pan add the red chilies and Kashmiri red chilies.
- Dry roast for another 3 minutes on low flame.
- Now add the curry leaves and dry roast till the color changes and the leaves look dry. Do this on low flame too.
- Allow all the roasted ingredients to dry.
- Now powder it and use it instantly grinding it with freshly grated coconut.