Another easy breakfast recipe, provided you get the steps right. I am adding the ‘Tips’ section first for this recipe, since it is important to follow these steps right… Else, this easy recipe can turn into a disaster.
- While buying the vermicelli packet, check if it is already roasted. If it is already roasted, you can dry roast it for 5-7 minutes to be on the safer side.
- If vermicelli is not roasted correctly, your upma will turn soggy.
- Do not over-cook the vermicelli. Drain off the excess water immediately.
- Once water is drained, spread the vermicelli evenly so that it does get overcooked on the bottom side.
- 1 packet of vermicelli (ROASTED Anil brand is good)
- Water: 4 cups
- 2 green chilies
- Grated carrots: 1 cup
- Finely chopped capsicum: 1 cup
- Oil: 2 table spoon
- Mustard seeds: 0.5 table spoon
- Channa dal and urad dal : 1 table spoon
- Curry leaves: 5-6
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste.
- In a wide bottom pan, dry roast the vermicelli till the fresh aroma of vermicelli is got. It turns slightly brown. Keep this aside.
- In another vessel, get water to boil.
- Add 2 table spoons of salt to it.
- Add the roasted vermicelli to this vessel of water. Cover it and set aside for 2 and a half minutes.
- Drain off the hot water completely and let the vermicelli cool.
- In a wide bottom tawa, add oil.
- When the oil heats up, add mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
- Now add urad dal and channa dal. Roast till it turns golden brown.
- Now add curry leaves, chopped green chillies and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the grated carrots and chopped capsicum.
- Fry for 2 minutes, till the capsicum and carrots turn tender.
- Now add the cooked vermicelli and stir well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.