A very easy South Indian recipe – we call it PALYA. Goes well with rice and chapatti.
- Chopped beans and carrots
- Mustard seeds: 0.5 table spoon
- Channa dal and urad dal : 1 table spoon
- Red chilies: 2
- Sugar: half a teaspoon (optional)
- Curry leaves: 5-6
- Salt to taste.
Tips: You can also add finely chopped onions if you like.
- Wash the beans and carrots thoroughly with salt water (as I always say, I wash with salt water to remove the pesticides)
- Peel the carrots
- Chop the beans and carrots.
- Pressure cook them (for 1 whistles) together by adding adequate amount of salt while pressure cooking them.
- In a wide bottom pan, add oil.
- When the oil heats up, add mustard seeds. The mustard seeds will splutter.
- At this instance, add the channa dal and urad dal.
- Fry till they become golden brown.
- Now add chopped red chillies, turmeric powder and curry leaves.
- Fry for 20 seconds.
- Now add the cooked beans and carrot and stir well.
- Finally add half a teaspoon of sugar and a handful of grated coconut.